Thursday, March 17, 2011

Burning

Today, tomorrow, and Saturday, the Philadelphia Orchestra will be presenting an All-Russian concert. The featured soloist is Stephen Hough, a British pianist. Hough is not only one of the most critically acclaimed virtuosi on his instrument but also one of the most famous classical music bloggers. In the following video, he shares the same insight that is characteristic of his blog posts.



Hough will play Tchaikovsky's, not Rachmaninov's, second piano concerto in Philadelphia. Many of his thoughts on the nature of pianistic interpretation still apply. My favorite part of this video is the end where he describes the "burning" that is essential to a human life. Musicians seem to have special license to use this kind of lofty, spiritual language to describe their lives, and I'm glad Hough takes advantage of it in his interviews and writing. I wish more people did. I'll write more about Hough after I attend his concert, but for now, I'm burning to hear how he handles Tchaikovsky.

No comments:

Post a Comment