Sunday, January 22, 2012

The End of the Music

I am sad to write that the organ world lost another one of its leading lights this week. Gerre Hancock, renowned composer, conductor, and performer, died yesterday at the age of 77.

I was never fortunate enough to hear Dr. Hancock in person, but I'm thankful for recordings that allowed me to listen to his work. Spotify users should listen to Praise the Lord, an album of mostly American choral music with the choir of St. Thomas Church Fifth Avenue. I'd also recommend seeking out Christmas Improvisations on the Gothic label. Dr. Hancock's imaginative renditions of Christmas hymns feature prominently in my annual holiday playlists.

Dr. Hancock was an esteemed teacher, and he shared some of his vast knowledge about improvisation in Improvising: How to Master the Art, which is essential reading for any keyboard student. A story from that book stands out in my memory. Dr. Hancock writes about his studies with the legendary pedagogue Nadia Boulanger. In one session, Mlle. Boulanger asks him to improvise a simple song in three sections on a theme she provides. Dr. Hancock launches into an improvisational fantasy, moving capriciously across keys and thematic sections until he finally receives a tap on the shoulder and a question from his teacher: "Why do you keep playing the organ when the piece was finished some time ago?"

Mlle. Boulanger's lesson reminds us that the end of any musical piece is important because it gives the entire work proportion and beauty. We often feel diminished at the end of a musician's life. As I remember Gerre Hancock, I will do my best to be thankful for the harmony and beauty he provided through his life's work.

No comments:

Post a Comment